Places to chill with english speaking folk?

Posted in: Forums > Living in Chengdu • 14 posts • NewestRSS

• Rysingsun86
    November 29, 2012
    4 posts

I'm an american born chinese 26 here on business. Been here almost a year i feel like if i don't go out and enjoy some good conversation. Im going to go insane. Any place where i can go to meet people? just gotta put this out there my tolerance for alcohol is horrible 2 beers haha.

• Kirsten
    November 29, 2012
    6 posts

Hey there, I'm American, myself. And wow, you've been here a year and haven't been to any of the local watering holes that are mainly populated by the expats? What exactly are you looking for? I guarantee if you went to any of the typical hotspots, people will be very friendly and happy to chat with you!

• Rysingsun86
    November 30, 2012
    4 posts

yeah i don't really drink tho haha that's probably a huge social downfall. I really don't know where to go. Though it is quite funny when i do speak english people just stare and wonder. Guess i'm just looking for friends to hang with on the weekends etc maybe night time i usually dont sleep. Still used to the New York city type deal. Any recommendations?

• Al the Dead
    November 30, 2012
    23 posts

SPA. Weekend SPA/massage and everything that goes with it. It makes you clean, it makes you feel good and it gets you far more social contacts than you can handle.

P.S. Dunno about expat SPA since i never bothered, i just go usual ones.
    P.S.S. Some are also brothels in disguise, exercise some caution.

• Captain Obvious
    November 30, 2012
    4 posts

@ Kirsten. I am new here too...but I like to drink. What are some of the good places to meet some interesting expats? The faster I make some friends the more I will love it here.

• Kirsten
    December 6, 2012
    6 posts

Welcome to the 'du, Cap'n. How long have you been here? What places have you already patronized, so I don't give you any redundant information? There are tons of places where my friends and I go, and I'm sure everyone will be happy to welcome you! All you really need is to make one friend to start, and the rest will follow like dominoes. It's a very warm and welcoming expat community we have here.

• scotchmist
    December 6, 2012
    2 posts

Hey, I'm also interested to know good places to go for a few (too many) drinks! I've been to Shamrock which I guess is the most obvious one. :) Been here about a month, and although I've been out a few times I haven't quite got that feeling like I'm experiencing this great vibe everyone says Chengdu has!!

• FrozeInferno
    December 7, 2012
    7 posts

I do recommend a good sunday brunch at Lazy Pug, the couple love to that own the place, love to talk, so grab a seat at their counters and get to know them.

• Captain Obvious
    December 8, 2012
    4 posts

I've been in Chengdu three weeks. I went to Shamrock's on a Sunday and it looked a wee bit boring. I've been living in Asia twelve years and I agree one friend and the rest all fall into place. While I love to talk I am not so great at self introductions. So Kristen where do all the kool kids hang out?

• happycat
    December 10, 2012
    7 posts

hey why you guys dont come to my restaurant to have a afternoon break??? free coffee,,,i just feel bored in afternoon wana make some new friends, just behind underground named sicilia,i d like to give guys good italian coffee,just conect me if you guys comingi will be there every afternoon.send me masagewhen you are coming 136 8838 6949

• Kirsten
    December 10, 2012
    6 posts

Ha, Shamrock's on a Sunday is where you went wrong, although I like going there on Sundays for dinner and a bit more relaxed atmosphere! Much better to go on a Friday or Saturday, though, if you're looking for a crowd.

Aside from Sham, there's Bookworm pretty much any night of the weekdays for a quiet dinner, and then for clubbing, etc., there's the trusty (if trite) Paname/Jellyfish/Spot blend for very late night Fridays and Saturdays. We're at the Spot almost every night of the week, it seems—we love the burgers there.

Also, I agree with FrozeInferno, the Lazy Pug has amazing food and great company. The menu is pricier (by Chengdu standards, that is), but I also agree wholeheartedly that owners, Danny and Dana, are terrific, wonderful, lovable people who really know their stuff.

Mooney's at Shangri La used to be good on Thursday nights, but that hasn't been true for the past year since they changed management, so I can't vouch for them any more.

And although Mondays aren't usually the time to hit up Shamrock, my band and I will probably be jamming at open mic tonight, so you're welcome to stop by if you want to get introduced to any of that crowd!

• Kirsten
    December 10, 2012
    6 posts

P.S. The Pug has taco night on Thursdays, so I recommend them for starts on that night of the week. Then my friends typically migrate to Mooney's.

• msinglynx
    December 15, 2012
    52 posts

try couchsurfing or if you like singing dancing art live music or sports send me a pm and i will happily introduce you to my friends. Im a puerto rican woman btw. Are you male or female?

• Rysingsun86
    December 16, 2012
    4 posts

I went to the lazy pug it's awesome ;] really nice people. Went to bookworm yesterday food is good there as well. That's about it haha

We should all chill im a starbucks coffee lounging kinda dude.
    26 male
    i'm into cars and bikes but yeah none of that stuff here.

Name is Jesse. Thank you all for the warm welcoming.

Before you can post, you must login or create an account.