Chinese Government Scholarship to Sichuan University

Posted in: Forums > Study • 8 posts • NewestRSS

• okhenshaw
    August 10, 2012
    2 posts

Hey all,

I got this scholarship from the Chinese Government to attend Sichuan University, and I'm really excited to move to Chengdu!

But surprise, surprise, the Chinese Embassy and Sichuan University have been less than helpful in giving me any information. I essentially know what day classes start, but very little else.

Anyone else on this scholarship or has been in the past? Have any advice on navigating the world's oldest bureaucracy?

• JT8900
    August 15, 2012
    8 posts

I was on the scholarship last year. I'm self paid now, but we'll be in the same building, so see ya in the fall!

So.... yeah, essentially, not hearing anything is just typical China. Most of the officials at 川大 probably don't know much either until it stuff starts to actually happen.

From experience I can tell you that you're going to want to get here a week or two early to get settled in. You need a local phone number, I suggest China mobile for that as you can get a pay as you go sim card type deal, and you're going to need an ICBC bank account to receive your monthly stipend. Get the phone number first because you need it to register for the bank account. Once you get those squared away you need to go to the Public Security Bureau to get your x-visa converted to a residency permit, and if you're living off campus you need to go to the police station and register with them. That should be it for bureaucracy stuff.

I don't remember when it was, but sometime just before classes start you'll take a placement test to determine which level you'll be taking, although the results of the test are just a suggestion and in the end you have complete freedom to choose which level you go into. Personally I skipped a level between first and second semester and nobody said anything about it. They really don't care very much as long as they get their tuition money, though the instruction really is pretty good.

When you get here, go to the second floor of the West Student Apartments (not the dorms) and talk to the ladies in the overseas student office. They'll get you somewhat squared away. If you still need help, I'll be happy to pm you my number and I'll give whatever assistance I can.

• nkosi8
    December 4, 2012
    2 posts

i am a teacher here, but i want to study now. can i get an information on how to receive a scholarship

• alchymyst
    December 10, 2012
    22 posts

Check here for info on the scholarship.

http://www.csc.edu.cn/laihua/scholarshipdetailen.aspx?cid=97&id=1422

• liisha
    December 11, 2012
    1 post

I live in china and interested in applying for Chinese government Scholarships. where do I get full info from?

• alchymyst
    December 11, 2012
    22 posts

I just posted it...

• China_Newz
    December 13, 2012
    2 posts

At Sichuan University where do the foreigners stay? In a separate dorm? Is there a hotel on campus where you can get a single room? Anybody know?

Before you can post, you must login or create an account.