Pet Relocation

Posted in: Forums > Living in Chengdu • 15 posts • NewestRSS

• misubi
    May 2, 2012
    28 posts

I'm moving back home to the States next month and trying to figure out how to most easily and inexpensively move my pet dog back with me. Does anybody have any advice or experience?

I did some searching online and found some info that is two years old saying that I needed to have my dog vaccinated at a government pet clinic. How would I even find such a thing? And what is the benefit of a pet relocation company versus just having the dog fly with me in cargo?

• francesen
    May 3, 2012
    6 posts

As far as I am aware, taking a dog to the states is easy. You have to get an export license from the Quarantine Bureau about 10 days to a week before you leave. That's to show the dog is fit and safe to travel.

四川检验检疫局

一环路南四段 28 (just a bit east of 高升桥 gaoshengqiao on first ring)
    Tel: 82998126

If you enquire they might send you to the 7th floor in the other bit of the building, the people there are fairly friendly and helpful.

However, if you travel via Beijing you apparently have to get this changed to a Beijing one to leave China still... Not so sure about that but if you PM me I can send you details of someone who has done this and got their dog back and I'm sure they can give you more information.

Don't think its necessary to use a pet relocation company to take a dog to the states. They're expensive and it seems to be not that difficult anyway, so you should be fine.

• misubi
    May 4, 2012
    28 posts

Thanks francesen. I just PM'd you.

• Euni_9
    May 4, 2012
    21 posts

I'm also in the same position as you misubi. I did some research and from my understanding you also need to get your dog microchipped and registered. I'm having trouble finding consistent information though. The CDC website is probably the most up to date and reliable http://www.cdc.gov/animalimportation/dogs.html.

• misubi
    May 5, 2012
    28 posts

@Euni_9

I haven't heard back from Francesen yet. In the meantime I did my own research. Air China seems to be the only viable airline to transport animals. Cathay doesn't allow them. And United is supposedly stopping supporting them soon.

I was able to locate two pet relocation companies. Both said I would have to transfer in Beijing via Air China. One has offices in Chengdu and would help me do all the necessary work for 4500 RMB excluding any charges from the airline itself. The layover is only 4 hours.

The other is Shanghai based and is charging me 3000RMB but I'll have to do the necessary checkups/microchipping here in Chengdu by myself AND I'll have to do a 24hr layover in Beijing.

I can give you the numbers if you're interested in contacting them yourself.

• smelltheflowers
    May 9, 2012
    3 posts

We have been having the same issues of trying to find out how to get our little dog home. It has been a nightmare because every airline has its own rules and regulations. We have found a Dr. Paul Schuster at chengduvet.com extremely helpful.

• clayuk
    May 10, 2012
    120 posts

I know KLM do animal transportation, but its direct to Amsterdam.

• blackray
    June 15, 2012
    1 post

hi i would like take my dog from chengdu to india can any one suggest some cheap and best way...im in hurry please let me know asap...thank u so much

• Pet Castle
    June 16, 2012
    4 posts

We can arrange pet relocation for you.
    Prices depend on the size and the destination.
    It usually takes some time though to get all the paperwork done.
    If you have any questions contact me or come to my shop.

Pet Castle
    Hangkong Lu Nr. 19
    宠物城堡
    地址武侯区航空路19号附11-12(桂溪公交站旁)
    电话:85575236

It's located close to B&Q. One minute east of the Cosy City Hotel on Ke Hua Zhong Lu.

Opposite the NR 12 Middle School.

• AlexKMG
    June 16, 2012
    110 posts

Also, don't forget to look up the requirements for your State in the USA. They can be more stringent, and there maybe mandatory quarantine of weeks, possibly at your expense.

• misubi
    June 17, 2012
    28 posts

As an update, I moved back to the United States last week and went with Globy relocation to bring him back. They charged 4500 rmb and their service was impeccable. Expensive yes, but the alternatives were much more bothersome and uncertain. I paid an additional 400RMB for my flight from Chengdu to Beijing for my dog and 2000 RMB for the flight back to the states.

The US government required no paperwork or quarantine examination. I literally just took him from the luggage belt. All troubles were on the Chinese side.

• Euni_9
    June 17, 2012
    21 posts

Thanks for updating, misubi. I am also going to go with Globy relocation just so I make sure my dog makes it back to the states with me.

I'm glad there was no quarantine examination, or paperwork for that matter stateside. It sounds like it was an easy transition.

Anyway thanks for all your help. Glad to hear you and your pup made it!

• Midget
    December 8, 2012
    11 posts

Does anyone know the approximate cost of relocating a pet to the UK?

Also does anyone have any tips? The UK seems to have very strict rules...

• Midget
    December 8, 2012
    11 posts

Does anyone know the approximate cost of relocating a pet to the UK?

Also does anyone have any tips? The UK seems to have very strict rules...

• Emma_Parris
    December 9, 2012
    5 posts

I am in the process of bringing my cat to Chengdu from the UK - any advice would be greatly appreciated. I am going back to the UK to bring him back here with me in Feb. I have been told that as we're flying into Chengdu directly that he will be able to have home quarantine. Anyone brought a pet into China and had any issues?

Before you can post, you must login or create an account.