12 links to Mao, Lmao and Roflmao
The Chinese Communist Party celebrated its 90th anniversary this week and you were not invited. In observance, we've rounded up some of the best links on the fun surrounding the milestone for you.
1. Weird headline of the week: "Hu warns Chinese Communist Party," specifically, that it is "confronted with growing pains" and that the "incompetence" of some members and their "being divorced from the people" has created problems for the country.
2. But at the end of the day the party showed that it still knows how to throw a party.
3. Ironically, the CCP's founding site, Xintiandi, is, 90 years later, making way for the capitalist expansion of the French Concession area.
4. But Kunming's so-called Red Alley, Jiexiao Xiang, still hosts the original site of the founding of Yunnan's communist party branch, which started five years after Shanghai's.
6. American Maoist Perry Link was one of the very few foreigners granted permission to travel around China in 1973. He settled in Beijing, where it took seven years for him to become disillusioned with it all.
7. Despite its changes since 1921, Beijing still has a variety of Maoist-centric venues
8. Marxism could be an official party drink, but a closer inspection will reveal that it actually reads "God's favored coffee," making for a divine number of possible interpretations, none of which are really Marxist, but then again, the mix itself is probably more like an interpretation of coffee.
9. Mao Zedong Thought Posers will be glad to hear that there is a way for them to make socialism reality by inserting their portraits into one of these generic propaganda posters and oil paintings.
10. In the U.S., communist propaganda posters are a rare find, but the original set of Red Down posters was plastered all over. That was before the the movie was reremade to tell the story of a suburban patriotic American resistance against Chinese invasion, instead of a North Korean one.
11. The Red Games, this year feature increasingly popular Cultural Revolution sports like the "40m grenade toss" and the "100m shoulder-pole race".
12. Predating the Red Games, the "Happy female soldier ballet" is another Cultural Revolution sport.